I unexpectedly (and reluctantly) moved back to my hometown. I unexpectedly fell for an old high school classmate, and he unexpectedly proposed to me. We unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, and we got married sooner than expected. Now, we're experiencing the unexpected daily...the good, the bad, the funny, the frustrating. Read all about it...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What's Wrong With Telling Kids White Lies?

My husband and I were in the car one evening and he turned on the light so that I can look for something while he drove. I hurriedly looked for the missing item, and when it was found, immediately shut off the light. Why the hurry?

Well, a long time ago when I was like 4 or 5 years old, I used to turn on the dome light for whatever purpose. One night I turned the light on, but my parents told me that if I kept the light on they'd get pulled over. So, for the longest time (and I mean from that night until, like, three years ago) I thought it was illegal to turn interior lights on while driving, so I always turned them on and off quickly if I ever needed them. 

I try to shut the light off as quickly as possible, even though I know I can legally drive with it on, because some part of my brain still sends the signal that what I am doing is wrong.

It's funny how some white lies will stick until the truth is finally explained.

"Very creative little white lies told to children" lists some parents' white lies, and they are so useful! I know I probably shouldn't use the article as a reference guide...but how can't I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment