I unexpectedly (and reluctantly) moved back to my hometown. I unexpectedly fell for an old high school classmate, and he unexpectedly proposed to me. We unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, and we got married sooner than expected. Now, we're experiencing the unexpected daily...the good, the bad, the funny, the frustrating. Read all about it...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More of What I Don't Think I Deserve

One morning a few weeks ago, I was walking into work when it was super freezing. A woman noticed all I had on was a pea coat. Given the horrific winter weather the East Coast's been enduring, she felt bad that I didn't have a scarf, hat, or gloves to keep me warmer. The lady promised that the next time I saw her, she would have a heavier coat, boots, and gloves to give me. I didn't think anything of it because we hardly know each other...we pass each other and say hello on occasion, probably only really see each other while we enter the building in the morning.

This morning, I saw a bag on my desk and thought someone had left their stuff in my cubicle. Then, I found a Post-It in the bag that said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry I didn't get this to you sooner," and at the bottom was the woman's name. Inside the bag was a coat much longer and heavier than mine. I immediately e-mailed her, thanking her for such a thoughtful act. She e-mailed me back just as quickly, offering even more clothing she wanted to give me. 


I definitely sound like a downer right now...but have you ever felt like you've been blessed with so many things that you just feel like you don't deserve?

I don't want to come across ungrateful, but what have I done to be blessed with everything I have, to be treated so kindly by friends, family, even strangers? It's kinda like Lil Wayne's line: "What the hell am I doin right?"

The wonderful woman who God placed in my life taught me a valuable lesson today: Stop being so self-consumed, take a second to think of others, and figure out a way to brighten their day. By self-consumed, I don't mean self-absorbed...I mean, do something for someone other than yourself. In the midst of preparing breakfast, driving to work, actually doing work, going home to do laundry and clean...stop and realize there is so much more to do, like empty your closet of things you don't need and give it to someone who could use those items. Or find some spare office supplies and bring them in for someone at work who seems to always lose his or her pens or paper clips. Put others first, or at least find a kind yet simple way to include them in your daily grind.

I don't know what I'm doing right to deserve anything from anyone, let alone someone I don't know on a personal level at all. But, perhaps God put her in my world to remind me that I'm not the only one I need to be thinking about. Through her, God definitely helped me realize that, even though we don't think we deserve to be treated kindly...we do. Because it helps us think a lot more positively, and it reminds us that overall, life, this world, and God is good...all the time...no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment