I unexpectedly (and reluctantly) moved back to my hometown. I unexpectedly fell for an old high school classmate, and he unexpectedly proposed to me. We unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, and we got married sooner than expected. Now, we're experiencing the unexpected daily...the good, the bad, the funny, the frustrating. Read all about it...

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Year of Pleasant Surprises!!

2010 exceeded my expectations!

It actually all started on October 23, 2009, when my live-in boyfriend became my fiance after he proposed during my birthday celebration in Atlantic City.


The proposal was too good to be true, and completely threw me off. I knew we were eventually going to be engaged, but not that soon; we had only been together seven months! I had to call his mother immediately after he had asked me to find out if this was really happening.

About a month after that, right before we moved to our new apartment, I missed my period. I was experiencing the typical symptoms of pregnancy...and three home tests and one visit to Planned Parenthood later, I was finally convinced that I was expecting! I was in denial for a long time, and I did not tell my parents until I was almost two months pregnant in mid-January. I told them over the phone, and this is how the conversation went:

"We have to move up the wedding."
"To when?"
"April."
"2011?"
"No, this year."
"Why do you want it so soon?"
"Because I'm pregnant."

Much to my surprise, they were more concerned with how they were going to plan a wedding in three and a half short months. Somehow, we pulled it off. It was a dream come true. I ordered my dress online from David's Bridal, but since I was pregnant, I was unsure of how big my belly was going to be by April 24th. I guessed on the size, and when it was delivered,  I felt like Cinderella because it was a perfect fit!


Four months later, this happened:


We officially became a family on August 8, 2010!

A lot of negative things happened during and after these events, but now is not the time to dwell on the bad part of life. New Year's is about thinking positively, moving forward, and making the new year better than the old one. 

The positive definitely outweighed the negative, and life's (un)expectations stormed through in the most exciting way this past year. I can only look ahead and pray that 2011 brings more fortune, more pleasant surprises, and a deeper purpose for living.

God (or whoever/whatever you believe) has granted us with another year to affect others and improve ourselves. I don't know how much better my life could possibly get, but I cannot wait to find out what it has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment