I unexpectedly (and reluctantly) moved back to my hometown. I unexpectedly fell for an old high school classmate, and he unexpectedly proposed to me. We unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, and we got married sooner than expected. Now, we're experiencing the unexpected daily...the good, the bad, the funny, the frustrating. Read all about it...

Friday, February 25, 2011

What Morrie Schwartz Taught Me

As part of My Overstuffed Bookshelf's 100+ Reading Challenge, I read Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.

I've read The Five People You Meet in Heaven and For One More Day, and for a third time, Mitch Albom did not let me put a book down without finishing the entire thing!

Through Albom's story, Morrie Schwartz has taught me:

  • Life is not about counting DOWN the days. It is about looking UP at what life has left to offer us.
  • Materialism and what's "in" at the moment is incomparable to the relationships we foster and keep.
  • It is better to dance to your own beat than to follow the steps of others.
  • "Love each other or perish." - Probably my favorite quote out of the whole book, but there are countless quotes from Morrie that I absolutely loved.
His life was so full of love, laughter, and...LIVING. If more people were like Morrie, I think we would have a much more peaceful world. I feel like I met him in person just by reading this book. He helped me to realize that our lives are not supposed to be surrounded by what our culture thinks is right or trendy. It is about how we affect people, and what we get out of our relationships with each other. 

Tuesdays With Morrie is the reason why everyone should read.

No comments:

Post a Comment