I unexpectedly (and reluctantly) moved back to my hometown. I unexpectedly fell for an old high school classmate, and he unexpectedly proposed to me. We unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, and we got married sooner than expected. Now, we're experiencing the unexpected daily...the good, the bad, the funny, the frustrating. Read all about it...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tiny is my Hero!

As part of My Overstuffed Bookshelf's 100+ Reading Challenge, I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.

But the challenge is not the only reason why I am writing this post. In fact, I didn't want my next post to be about a book I've read because I feel like the challenge is the only thing I have been writing about (in other words, I be slackin big time!). However, I have to write about this book! Will Grayson, Will Grayson is hysterical, and I did not want it to come to an end but the end was what made it so sweet and so truthful.

Tiny is one of the main characters of the book, and even though the lives revolve around the title characters, I think Tiny is what the story is actually about. Tiny pulls the plot together, and he is the one who embodies the theme of the story the most. I have never read anything so real and so true...it's one of those things you don't want to face because it is honest and forces you (or just me) to realize the truth about your life.

The truth is...life sucks, but you're not the only one with a sucky life. But life doesn't suck 100% percent of the time.

When it does suck, you might have a Tiny who seems to have head full of rainbows and butterflies who will not freakin shut up until he finds some way to make you see things even slightly positively.

And guess what? All the Tiny's in the world who try to make everyone else happy are also unhappy inside. They just don't want to bring you down with them. Or kick you while you're down. They might be annoying, but they've got a point: just make everyone else's day better even if yours is kinda down the toilet.

Tiny helped me to realize life is not about me. It is about the bigger picture of family and friends, and making sure I'm not the cause of their pain, but the cause of their happiness. So what if I have financial issues, a bad hair day, or if I missed my morning coffee? What good am I doing by dumping my problems onto someone else? Yes, I can (and will) vent, but dwelling and moping and constantly bringing up the bad stuff is not going to erase the bad stuff.

Basically, I have learned a big lesson: Stop talking about myself. Start listening to others. And no matter how dumb or annoying or naive I sound -- make them see the brighter side. I also learned that I've got to look more at the brighter side too.

No comments:

Post a Comment